Having really long, chemically dyed hair in Chicago winters can mean a lot of damage if hair is not properly cared for. Here are a few simple things I do to keep my now waist-length hair protected during the cold winter months:
- Try to cover your hair as much as possible when outside, hoods hats etc. I try to even do my hair less during the winter, unless its straightened and I tuck all my hair into my coat.
- Do not go outside with wet hair (especially when its super cold, Chicago can get way below 0 in the winter for weeks!)
- Use protective products such as Pantene BB cream and Bumble and Bumble’s Invisible Oil well as protective shampoo and conditioner like the one below from Nexxus which I absolutely love.
- Opt for Non-chemical, vegan type shampoos such as this Live Clean Coconut Milk Shampoo I got this at my local grocery store to help with dry scalp in reaction to chemicals in other shampoos I used. It is beyond amazing, and it smells like sweet coconut and makes me feel like I am on vacation.
- Mask when you can with coconut oil (Trader Joe’s has some cold pressed coconut oil that is fire) on your ends and use less hot tools and you will have luscious long, but most importantly healthy locks in no time!